Free time and Raleigh

It’s been an interesting weekend. I always feel a bit out of sorts when the last final is over and I suddenly have all this free time on my hands. As I look around my home and gardens it’s painfully obvious where my time has NOT been spent recently. I’m playing catch up there but gosh that gets old and I need variety and a diversion. So as a reward for passing the last final I purchased a new bicycle. I’ve wanted one for quite some time. While doing research on pricing; good lord who knew bikes had gotten so expensive, and test riding makes and models (you do this too don’t you? Test a bicycle before you buy one), it occurred to me that I haven’t owned a bike since I was in my very early twenties. Boy was that a long time ago. My heart and sights were set on a single speed or 3 speed Cruiser model, the ones with the ample seats, wide tires, fenders and kewl handle bars, old school. I so appreciate the special touches that only a local shop can offer and that was allowing me to test ride several, ok quite alot of different makes and models of bikes. I ultimately chose this one.




It’s a Raleigh Retroglide. Isn’t she a beauty? My intentions are to ride the bike to do errands that are close to home. My justification is that it will have many benefits: save on gas, help tone my body as I continue to lose the weight, to Starbucks for an Iced Skinny Vanilla Latte, and I think I look pretty darn kewl riding around the neighborhood. One little dark haired girl wanted to know if it was an antique. My response, "no sweet child, only the rider is an antique."

After using a backpack on Raleigh’s maiden voyage to the grocery story, envision sweaty achy back, it was obvious I needed to purchase a removable wicker basket for the front. Not as much room so I won't over do like I did the first time. As I post this image of the basket a smile begins to form. There's a saying around our house that if something sits still to long Jill will paint it. I have a feeling this basket will get a new paint job soon!! A bit of purple and white me thinks along with a wee bit of coordinating fabric to line the interior.




I wish I could afford this basket by Reisenthel. With the exchange rate and shipping I would have been half way to another bike!! But it sure is sweet!!!


The weather has been unusually hot so Raleigh hasn’t been out this weekend, save for Friday. But Monday I’ve got plans! Ohh the plans…….

1 comment:

Maureen said...

So envious of your new bike! Mine is so old and outdated that no one at our garage sale wanted it! Glad you're blogging along!