Endless Summer

What a glorious three day weekend. It rained and the temperatures never climbed above 80. As is typical in our household we had a list of "honey do's" that needed completed. DH was finishing the last of the sprinkler repairs I didn't get to during the week when it started to rain. Rain for us in the Central Valley is such a blessing in early summer. It was a soft and intermittent rain. During the lull I ventured out with 'precious' to snap some pictures of the Endless Summer Hydrangea planted 3+ years ago. They are really loaded this year.

The blooms aren't as large as some varieties of Hydrangeas but it's much easier to manage. Don't have to remember which is old wood. I love the fact it will bloom all summer long, provided I can keep it from getting crisped by the heat. In one of the shots you'll notice a few of the edges are a bit brown. Last weekend we had temperatures in the 100's and I didn't get the sunshade put up early enough to protect the fragile blooms from the sun and heat.

I tried a small experiment when I was trimming the ES bush in early fall. I added some aluminum sulphate to a small portion of the soil around one of the plants just to see what would happen. Low and behold a few of the blooms have turned a pretty shade of purple. I only applied the AS once so I'm doubly surprised


We finished up the list by Sunday afternoon so we could enjoy Monday as a day of rest. We received an invitation to lunch and a movie. So off we went. Lunch was at the Macaroni Grill and the movie was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The theater was filled to capacity at all showings. Nice to see several generations enjoying the movie.



Hope your weekend was as enjoyable.


Til Later,


Jill

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Oh, just glorious! Our hydrangeas are just about to burst too, which I so look forward to. The photos are just beautiful Jill. See you got the new baby all primed for your blog photos! Yay! Off to read up on posts I missed!

Anonymous said...

So happy to see you blogging, Jill. Your gardens are always a special treat and knowing you will post photos to share is exciting.

We too, are looking forward to seeing Indiana Jones and may go tomorrow. Memories, huh? Hope it's as fun for the boys as it was for us the first time around. :)