California Mission

Sorry I have been absent. It’s been busy around the homestead. Hubster down and back to the Caymans; teaching an Economics class for ICCI, and me with the Pharmacy School. This will be the second attempt to post this. I downloaded a new tool to use with Windows Live Writer. Between that and my happy go lucky mouse clicking I managed to delete a few previous posts. <sigh> I’ll get this figured out soon enough. Guess I should have paid more attention in HTML class!!

Anyway back to the Missions. The heat was getting to us so we decided Friday afternoon to head to the coast bright and early that Saturday. Temperatures can be as much as 20 degrees cooler on the coast. The route we normally take travels by a beautiful old California mission. San Juan Bautista, located in San Benito County California. It’s still a very active church. More history about the mission here. I’ve always loved old Spanish architecture. So I packed up “precious" and her tripod, hoping to get some good shots. I remembered what my photography instructor said, “shoot what you love and the results will be spectacular.” So come along and let me show you what I saw.

Enlarge images for more detail.

Bell tower, Praying to Sky Fountain

Camino Real Bell 1797

Bell Close

Wood and Rod Iron light fixtureWood and Rod Iron

Beautiful colors

Doorway and Bench

Las Tres Campanas

Las Campenellas

On of my favorite shots with the roses in front, the old cemetery gate, Cross, fountain, not sure which Saint and the California rolling hills in the background.

Cemetray Gate San Juan Fountain Cross

Holy Water vessel. Original to the building. Oh the stories it could tell :)

Holly Water

Old Wooden Accent. Used to be white washed.

Ceiling Vigas

72x188 ft. Pretty amazing for such an old structure. Just LOVE the arches.

Entire sm

I hope you enjoyed the lil tour. Later this week I’ll post about our growing collection of water colors of California Missions.

Hasta Entonces,

Jill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,
Sounds like you had a good trip. Love the pictures of the mission. Id like to see that watercolor collection. Ive missed you!
Kat

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Oh, I absolutely love California missions! I grew up across the street from Knott's Berry Farm, where they had very detailed replicas of all the missions in glass-enclosed niches, sort of like dioramas. Loved those! I've been to probably 5 or 6 missions, but haven't been to San Juan Bautista. It's absolutely lovely! Thank you so much for taking us along on your trip, Jill!