Watercolor Missions

I’ve always loved Spanish Mission architecture AND watercolors. Once upon a time I fancied myself as a watercolor artist. Now I just enjoy the talents of others. Before moving to California the Hubster and I were planning a road trip for his 50th birthday. He thought it would be a great adventure to visit all the Spanish Missions starting from El Paso, Texas (where we lived at that the time) and finish up in California. The Mission Trail covers Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. I think there maybe one or two in Florida but that would be going the wrong direction. Anyway the call came, he was hired and off we went to California. Our adventure to visit the missions would be put on hold.

We settled into our new home and soon realized that Hubster wouldn’t have the same amount of free time to travel as before. During a Sunday morning breakfast walk around a local strip mall we noticed a gorgeous watercolor in the window. Hubster knows my weakness for this medium. He loved it as well. We made plans to return the next day.

We purchased this vibrant rendition of Mission Carmel. It’s by a fairly well known local watercolorist by the name of Rita Nist.

This one currently hangs over our fireplace in the Manly room. It will go out later this month to be reframed. The gold just doesn’t “do” anything in that space.

Carmel Mission 1

The shop curator also drew our attention to some other piece done by the same artist depicting Missions but they were miniatures. Hmm I thought they can’t really be that great in miniature form. Wrong was I. We purchased these three:

Mission Miniatures

These hang in our foyer. They are top down:

Miniature San Fernando

San Fernando

Miniature San Jose

San Jose

Miniature Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz

Her attention to detail in the miniatures is pretty amazing when you consider the size. We asked the shop owner to have the artist get in touch with us as we’d like to commission a full sheet watercolor for another spot in the house. Alas we never did hear from her. So we thought we were done.

Then low and behold I came across this painting at a local bookstore of all places. We hesitated about purchasing it as it was another painting of Mission Carmel but decided it was worth the investment.

This hangs in the foyer as well.

Carmel Mission 2

So while we haven’t visited all of the Missions along the trail, we will someday, we are content in finding these lil treasures.

Have a great weekend,

Jill

7 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Jill, thank you for coming by & for the well wishes! I had no idea you were blogging too. It just seems to be the thing to do these days & I think you'll enjoy it too. I've had a ball with it.

I'll have to come back to see you again! Those watercolors are gorgeous.

Rhoda

Kat said...

Jill you need to come out and play.I miss you!!
What ya doin anyway???

Linda Lou said...

Hi Jill, just found you, welcome to the blog world!! Good to see a fellow Californian here! I will be back.

Amongst The Oaks said...

Hi Jill,
I found your blog from Kat's whimsy. I live in California's Central Valley too. Stop by and say Hi sometime.
~Laura

Anonymous said...

I'm here to TAG you, Ms. PH! Please see my blog to check it out and I'll be back to see your updates. Love ya!

Cecile said...

Beautiful watercolors, Jill. I have also visited several of those missions on trips to California and Texas. I did the little trolley tour of about 5 missions when I was in San Antonio. they really make great subjects for water colors.

Ceci

Kat said...

Ms. PH!!
6 QUIRKY THINGS!!! Come on already! Im waiting. You know I dont wait well.