Everyone should have a pet in their lives. It's been medically proven to lower your heart rate as well as a good source of exercise. For those that know me both in the virtual and real world know I have two fur kids. See they aren't pets to me they are my children. They just happen to have fur. My husband running comment is "well honey they are better than kids as they'll never want to borrow the car keys and will always enjoy going for a ride!!" My fur kids are miniature schnauzers.
We did allot of research on the type of dog that would suit our personalities and lifestyle. Miniature Schnauzers' are very adaptable dogs and do well in homes with children, so long as both are given the correct instruction, homes with lots of acreage to run and chase anything that moves as well as apartment dwellers.
Our girls, we have two females that are siblings not litter mates, are very laid back.
Not what most people think of when they think of a miniature schnauzer. Our home environment is very relaxed and the girls get loads of exercise and play time. We often have other dogs come for "play dates" and extended visits. This helps with their social skills. Another way to help with their social skills is to take them where ever they allow dogs (usually places that do not serve or offer food products you can take your leashed dog). We try to visit as often as possible. Lowe's and Home Depot are one of their favorite places. All those smells and people. Their other favorites are the small garden centers. Ah more smells and people.
We are often asked what dog parks we frequent? Honestly, I don't like public dog parks. I know I may get flak for saying that as they are a great place for dogs to interact and get their much needed exercise. However, dog parks are only as good as the dog owners who frequent them. We've had some pretty nasty experiences with both dogs and owners. Often I wish dog owners were required to have a license (obedience preferably) to enter these parks. So we found other solutions and it works for us.
We also do limited Miniature Schnauzer rescue work. Our names are on the rolls at our local kill animal shelter. If a mini hasn't been adopted and their time is up we are called. So far that call has only come once. We made a few calls and within hours the lil girl was adopted. We've taken in and subsequently place a number of other Mini's who have come to us by word of mouth and personal recommendations. I keep in touch with each owner on the adoption anniversary date. Always great, positive and enthusiastic updates are given. I hope you've enjoyed a bit about my "fur babies" and will take the time to spay or neuter your animals, adopt from a shelter or donate to one when possible.
Take Care,
Jill
6 comments:
Always love hearing about your girls, Jill. Who wouldn't love those adorable, adoring faces? Oh, how I'd love a dog! I check out the rescue sites for fun - lol! Unfortunately, my schedule would make me a poor pet parent. One day, perhaps, I'll be able to own a mini-Aussie and take her for runs and walks and just love her and hold her. Thanks for sharing the info on socializing, too. That's so important as well. Hugs to the girls!
Absolutely darling! Both you and your babies. Thanks for posting the pictures and reminding everyone how important pets are in our lives. We can't imagine life without ours...
Jill, I forgot you even had a blog! Oh your doggies are just such cutie-pies.
I did remember that you gave me that bunny & he was perfect for the top of that tree, don't you think? Thanks again, I'll treasure that one for sure. You know me and my bunnies! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas too.
Hi Jill, in my house there are with 4 large dogs, my children have been integrated the dogs as part of the family.
Awwww such sweet pictures of the girls!
Jill, Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a note.
I totally agree about dogs. I lost my Jazz over a year ago, and I still expect to see him run out to greet me when I come home. Miss him, and not ready to get another one yet.
About Watsonville... Really!? Bobby Flay? I adore Bobby Flay! And Phil's is where I get fresh halibut for my chermoula.
I haven't looked through your blog yet.. just came right on over after your comment on my blog. So now I'm off to read. (:
Vicki
Post a Comment