Spring has come to our area.

Well it's been here for the past two weeks if truth be told. I just haven’t had the time to dust off “precious” and start snapping. The native California flowers are at peak and a bit past peak in some higher elevations, or so I read in this mornings paper. Both batteries, an extra SD card and my tripod were loaded into the car for a late afternoon, early evening adventure.

My mission; to find California poppies and lupines.

It's amazing to see the different varieties of poppy plants. Bright sunlight and the vibrant colors of some varieties put my budding photo skills to the test. A few superlatives “may” have escaped my lips. Here's an image taken in the foothills at a public park. poppy park Compare it to ones snapped in the mountain areas.

Poppy close poppy close mulitple

The lupines were a bit more evasive. When I spotted them they always seemed to be on a steep embankment; no place to turn off or park. I finally found a few just as the sun was setting. lupine 3 The next day I ventured out again so I could capture more of those pesky lupine. This time my DH drove. He'd been fishing the Sunday before and remembered seeing both poppies and lupines together.

While driving I noticed what looked like lupine in a field but it was shrub like. I’d only ever seen or experienced lupine as single plants. But sure enough it was a lupine. (all images are clickable to enlarge)Grape Soda Lupine I had no idea they grew like that. After some research I found it's call Lupinus excubitus (aka: Grape Soda Lupine).

I did spot a few of these but again no place to turn off or park.
bird's eye gilia (courtesy of mdv_graupe )

birds eye gilia

In this field we discovered poppies, grape soda lupine and white popcorn flowers all living happily together. The backdrop wasn't too bad either. Lupine Fieldlupine poppies popcorn

Hint: all images are clickable to enlarge and will open in a separate window.

A few more random shots.

lupine 1 lupine 2

wildflower wildflower 2

yellow flowers

As the weather continues to warm and other flowers bloom I'm more motivated to "get out there and just shoot". (that’s my photo instructor’s mantra). Hmm wonder if I should tell her she was in my head!! Naaa....:) She already thinks I'm a nut. Especially when I turn in projects like this. Storm Jagger

Noo they’re not my lips but this fellas…

Have a great week…

Jill

6 comments:

Rose - Watching Waves said...

GORGEOUS PHOTOS! In our busy workaday world, we don't often take time to drive off the concrete path and get out with nature; I'm so glad you did. Love that one with all the gorgeous purple and orange color!

Funny photo! I definitely don't see collagen lip plumping in your future - lol!

Jill said...

Thanks Rose. It was exhilarating to be out in Mother Nature's glory. She does cook good as my Gram's used to say. If you'd like a hi res let me know. Makes a great wallpaper for the computers behind which we spend so much time.

LOL on the lips. It was a fun exercise and I like throwing curves into the assignments. And oh my noooo on the plumping! Dealing with gray hair is torture enough.

PAT said...

Wow Jill...these are gorgeous photos!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully photographed! Your talent is really shinning.

I see your lips are going all Angelina. LOL! (saw the link to Mick) Cool, fun project. Hope you got a big fat "A". :)

Maureen said...

Totally gorgeous-- I an so envious of your fantastic climate! Your photos capture it all so well. Beautiful! And the lips are killer! Love it!

Lori Bee said...

Ohhhh Jill...these are LOVELY! Thanks for sharing. :)